At this time last year, I had been a mommy of merely four months. That was before I knew about the speed of life once you become a parent. Before I understood how time becomes more and more precious the faster and faster it speeds by.
Last year, Parker's "first-day-of-school" was so far away from me that it wasn't even a fleeting thought.
But this year, with sixteen months of mommy-ing under my belt, sixteen months to learn that you can't blink, I saw all of those first day of school pictures again. The ones the nervous and happy mommy's post of their too-excited littles on FaceBook and Instagram.
Smiling on the front porch. Crisp, new backpack in hand. Lunch neatly packed. Shiny shoes and combed hair.
And as I looked this year at each child one year older, and I looked at Parker, who turned 16-months on September 12th, and I realized that we are not so far off from that day. In fact if we put our little boy in 2-year-old school, that will be us at this very time next year!
While time is flying faster and faster than ever before, it is becoming more and more fun with each passing day! Parker is such an absolute delight to us and watching the world through his eyes creates more joy than I ever knew possible.
Here is a little update on Parker, lately, at 16 months old!
Parker Bear weighs 22 pounds 13 ounces and is 30 inches long. He fits into 18-month old clothes comfortably, and has since turning about 13 months. I am so thankful that the growing-every-other-month period is behind us! I love that he can wear his clothes more than one time before I have to pack them away.
Parker loves his mommy but now? Parker also loves his daddy! I know he has always loved his daddy but these days he wants to go to him and be around him more than ever before! I know it just makes Honey's heart sing when Parker reaches for him and wants his daddy to hold him!
When Honey is on his way home, he will text me and when I hear him come in the door, I'll ask Parker, "Who's here?" and Parker will turn his little head as far as he can to see the back door, looking for Honey to come in. When he sees his daddy he immediately wants to show him whatever toy or book he is playing with and wants him to come play too.
At night time after he's all ready for bed, Parker and I always come say night night to daddy but before Parker would not want anyone to take him from me. Now, he willingly goes to daddy for a night night hug and kiss! It is so sweet! I love seeing him form a special bond with his daddy!
Parker is growing and changing and learning every day! Here are some things he is doing these days:
- Swaying to music. Probably the *cutest* of his new tricks is his "dancing". Parker loves to sway to the music of his toys or playing form our iPad. He has a "rock band" toy and will dance to that music every.single.time. We love it!
- Putting things in and out. Parker loves his toys that have pieces that go in and out. He loves to put the shapes in the cylinder and pull them out again, or put the music balls in the helicopter and pull them out again. He has totally gotten the hang of these types of patterns. After we show him one time, he wants to do it again and again. In fact, the other day Parker was playing next to our coffee table and there were two remotes in a cubby of the table right next to him. Parker pulled each one of the remotes out, looked at them, then put them back into the cubby - as though that in itself was a game!
- Babbling. I never knew I would love the sweet sounds of a baby babbling so much! Parker's favorites are da-da-da-da-da, ma-ma-ma-ma-ma and ba-ba-ba-ba-ba. He also does doe-doe-doe and lots of oh-oh-oh-oh-oh's. I love getting him to "talk" to me and letting him "read" his books to me. When he needs to get our attention he yells out "ah!" to hand us something, or have us help him get something, or even if he sees something that he wants us to see too. All the talking and communicating has been such a fun development these last few months!
- Trucks. Parker loves, loves, LOVES trucks. The bigger the better! Whenever we hear the trash man, mail man, or bus driver coming down our street, we run outside to get a better look. Usually the truck drivers are (thankfully!) happy to see Parker and slow down to wave and let him get a good look at their ride. We also stop to watch construction sites whenever possible so Parker can see the big dump trucks and bull dozers. When he sees trucks he gets so excited, calling out OH-OH-OHHHH!!! And "jumping" in our arms with his legs and arms both going so fast. It is so fun to see him get so excited!
- Wagon Rides. In the evenings we often go on a "wagon ride" together. Parker riding in his little red wagon, Honey pulling the wagon down the walking trail, and Cash and I walking alongside them. Parker loves wagon rides! He is so cute pointing out birds, dogs, other families walking or riding bikes. We love this time together as a family!
Parker loves to laugh. It is so easy to get him to laugh! Perfect strangers can always get a smile and giggle from our happy boy. He loves to play little games with Honey and I, and just loves laughing with us. Sometimes even if Honey and I are talking and we start laughing about something, Parker will take the opportunity to join right in on the laughter even though he doesn't really know what we are laughing about!
And of course, not new, but Parker loves books. So much! He loves to be read to and he loves to read. He is such a sweet little bookworm!